“Baby it’s cold outside!” … the perfect weather to make hearty, comforting, and easy dishes. Dr. Kitzmiller’s team was talking about some of their favorite one-pot recipes for the winter and this week they agreed that a chicken pot pie would surely warm you up on these bitterly cold winter days.
Everyone was up for trying a couple of variations on the traditional pot pie, and all decided that a crock pot version and a kid-friendly hand held option would be fun to try! Denise offered up her crock pot version (that they were able to assemble in the office before the morning meeting and have it ready just in tie for lunch!) and Lori found a magazine recipe from Campbell’s Kitchen for mini chicken pot pies. Both dishes were sampled and the team voted that BOTH were winners! Given that this is a “Healthy Humpday” post, options are given to prepare the dishes in their original version or lightened up.
Give them a try and let us know what your favorite is!
Denise’s Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- 1- 26 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup (regular or low-fat)
- 2 – 15 oz cans mixed vegetables (regular or no salt added), drained
- 1- 15 oz can water
- 1- 22 oz bag frozen, fully cooked, diced chicken breast or 3 fresh chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 can uncooked biscuit dough, torn into pieces
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional for garnish
- Combine all ingredients into crock pot; stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH setting for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve, and garnish with shredded cheese, if desired
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (regular or fat free)
- 1- 15 oz can mixed vegetables (regular or no salt added), drained, or 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (12 ounces) refrigerated biscuit dough (10 biscuits)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Let’s get cooking!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 10 muffin pan cups with vegetable cooking spray.
- Stir the chicken, soup, and vegetables in a medium bowl.
- Roll out or pat the biscuits to flatten slightly. Press the biscuits into the bottoms and up the sides of the muffin-pan cups. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture into each biscuit cup. Lightly press the chicken mixture down so it’s level. Top each with about 2 teaspoons of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Let the pot pies cool for 5 minutes before serving.