The recent cold Cincinnati weather makes everyone want to stay inside, Dr. Kitzmiller’s team included! So, last week, the team vote was for a hearty, warming chicken tortilla soup. Their slow-cooker was put to work so that lunch could prepare itself while Dr. Kitzmiller and the rest of the team could focus all of the time and undivided attention to seeing dental and sleep patients!
This soup is just as delicious the next day, if you even have leftovers! The team rounded out their lunch meal with a crisp green salad.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1- 2 lb package frozen fajita chicken strips, or leftover, shredded pre-cooked chicken
- 1- 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2- 10 oz cans or packages red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1- 15 oz can corn, drained
Optional garnishing: Chopped cilantro, tortilla chip strips, sour cream, cheddar cheese
Let’s Make Chicken Tortilla Soup!
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, as well as bay leaf. Stir in corn.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To serve, remove bay leaf. Ladle soup into a bowl and mix in desired amount of tortilla strips. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and cheddar cheese if desired.