This past weekend we decided to make a fun meal for family and friends called Paella, a classic Spanish dish with chicken, sausage, shrimp, and rice. I had always thought that this was way too complicated to make in an hour, but prep and cook were surprisingly easy! Expect rave reviews around the table when your family and friends get a taste! This classic paella dish is filling but can definitely be turned into a complete meal with the additional of a simple green salad.
This recipe is designed to be made on your kitchen stovetop, but we had fun making it outside in the pizza oven Dr. Kitzmiller just finished building this spring!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 6 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1-lb package chorizo, sliced ( it now comes prepackaged in the smoked sausage section)
- 1-lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked orzo or Arborio rice
- 1, 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tsp paprika and chili powder ( you can add more towards end of cooking if you want it to be hotter)
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley and lemon wedges for garnish
Let’s Make Paella!
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with the paprika and chili powder.
- Brown chicken in 3 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet or paella pan.
- Add the chorizo, onions, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, make the orzo or rice according to the package directions, reserving additional broth to keep the paella moist at the end of cooking.
- Add the cooked rice to the chicken, sausage, and vegetable mixture.
- Add shrimp to the pan and cook until shrimp turns just pink.
- Check consistency and add more broth so that paella is moist.
- Top paella with peas; garnish with parsley and lemon wedges if desired.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!