This dish will transport you to your favorite Tex-Mex restaurant…but you don’t have to leave home! The marinade is a tried and true LK (Lori Kitzmiller) recipe. Follow the measurements below as listed, and your marinade will be perfect every time! We’ve had it really healthy as shown, over peppers, onions, and green beans; however, when we just crave a REAL Tex-Mex meal, we’ll put the meat, onions and peppers in a flour tortilla with our favorite sides and condiments like cheese and sour cream!
What is flat iron – (see more info in this link)? It’s a flavorful, thin cut, reasonably priced piece of beef. When marinated before and sliced very thin after cooking/resting (sitting still for 5 minutes before slicing), it is as tender as filet mignon!
ALL INGREDIENTS THAT WILL BE NEEDED:
1 package flat iron beef (ask the meat counter to help you find you an alternative if they don’t have it)
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 white onion
thinly sliced minced garlic
2 TB olive oil
green beans or vegetable side of choice
Flat Iron Marinade
I make this recipe in full and put half of it in a gallon bag and freeze it for another meal!
- ½ cup Balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- 1 TB each:
– brown sugar
– chili powder
- 1 tsp each: cayenne, black pepper
– black pepper
- handful chopped cilantro leaves (optional, BUT highly recommended!)
- 2 TB minced garlic
Steps to follow in making a flavorful, juicy meal:
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Add beef and marinade in a gallon bag for 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Place marinated beef on a broiler pan and broil for 15 minutes, flipping at 7 ½ minutes and basting with any reserved marinade.
- While meat is broiling, sautee peppers and onions in garlic and olive oil.
- Prepare your favorite side dish!
To serve, place peppers and onions on plate. After the meat has “rested’ uncut for 5 minutes, thinly slice it, crosswise, and place it over your veggies or on top of a tortilla. Also, perfect on game-days, heat up some store bought biscuits and spread some smooth blue cheese dressing on the biscuit. Layer the strips of flank steak on for some sandwiches that are sure to keep you screaming for the home team all day!