True Fact: Even though more than two thirds of Americans over the age of 20 are overweight or obese, many of us are undernourished. The USDA reports that a large number of adults in the US are not obtaining sufficient amounts of the seven vital nutrients: calcium, magnesium, potassium, fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Vitamin E. The good news, though, is that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on vitamins and supplements! Here are 7 easily obtainable, inexpensive foods that are great sources for these 7 missing dietary components.
- Magnesium – Spinach and other leafy greens
- Calcium – Beans, low-fat dairy
- Potassium – Cantaloupe, buckwheat
- Vitamin A – Sweet potato
- Vitamin C – Sweet potato, beans
- Vitamin E – Nuts and seeds
- Fiber – spinach, beans, buckwheat, cantaloupe, sweet potato
Check out the recipe and lunch below, prepared by Dr. Kitzmiller and his team that incorporates four of the seven!
Slow Cooker Latin Chicken with Black Beans and Sweet Potato
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or 1/2 tsp chopped chipotle chilies in adobo sauce if you like it hotter)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs ( fat removed)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup roasted red pepper from a jar, cut into strips
- chopped cilantro and lime wedges for serving
Let’s Get Cooking!
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with 1/2 tsp ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Brown chicken thighs in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine beans and sweet potatoes. Arrange chicken thighs on top of bean mixture.
- Combine paprika, broth, salsa, garlic, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp cumin and pour over chicken.
- Cook covered on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. (Note: Lori made this recipe in a Dutch Oven in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and the results were equally as amazing!)
- To serve, stir in the red pepper strips and spoon into bowls or plates. Offer cilantro and lime wedges for garnishing.