‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more aspects of Cincinnati, Loveland, and Montgomery life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some of the most important guidelines are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush. They can be purchased at any Milford, Ohio area drugstore.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you are engaged in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged. This includes many Cincinnati recreation league and school sponsored sports.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a dangerous Milford fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
My name is Dr. Timothy Kitzmiller. Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smiles they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, and complete smile makeovers.
Timothy J Kitzmiller DDS has been serving the Cincinnati, Loveland, and Montgomery area since 1988. If you are in the market for an exceptional dentist, we invite you to contact us at 513-248-8848 so we can make an appointment for you.
Dr. Timothy Kitzmiller
Timothy J Kitzmiller DDS
5722 Signal Hill Court, Suite A
The following website was used as source material for this blog:
http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/preteens-and-teens/, accessed on Feb. 21, 2013