Are your mornings so hectic that the last thing on your to-do list, before you walk out the door, is eat breakfast? Studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, fueling you to have the focus and energy to get through your morning activities. Still think there’s no time? Think breakfast smoothies!
Smoothies are usually a mixture of milk, yogurt, and berries that are processed in a blender, ready in about a minute! We have an Oster personal blender ($20-30) that comes with a travel lid, perfect for blending and running out the door. The following is a basic recipe but we’ve also given some additional ideas to try… experiment with your favorite ingredients and never skip breakfast again!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup milk (dairy, soy, or almond)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup mixed berries or 4 strawberries
- 1/2 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt (adds extra flavor for the strawberry and bananas!)
- Optional add-ins for added protein and to help sneak in extra servings of veggies!
- 1 scoop protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- Handful of baby kale leaves
- 1/2 ripe avocado for creaminess
- Blend in a blender for 30 seconds-1 minute or until combined and smooth. Enjoy!
Here are some additional ways you can smoothie, including some interesting tips and creative combinations. Try some tomorrow!
- Smoothie Basics – There are 4 basic components to a smoothie: liquid, fruits and vegetables, extras, and ice. We don’t use ice in our smoothies because the fruit and yogurt create a great consistency alone.
- Liquid – milk (dairy, soy, or almond), fruit juices (but watch for added sugar), green tea
- Fruits and Vegetables – strawberries, bananas, mixed berries, apples, kiwi, pineapple, cucumber, broccoli, kale, spinach, avocado
- Extras – 1 scoop protein powder, 2 tablespoons oats, 2 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter, ginger, sprinkle of cayenne or cinnamon
- Interesting Combinations
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple (so seeds or core), 1/2 small cucumber, 12 ounces of green tea (cooled), 1/2 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup kale, protein powder or yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 kiwi with skin, 1/2 cup grapes, 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 strawberries, 1/2 cup kale, 1/2 apple.
Best wishes for a “smooth” morning tomorrow!