There’s nothing more comforting than a hearty casserole, like enchiladas, on a chilly evening. This recipe combines all of your favorite flavors of the filling classic but in a lighter, healthier portion! By using rotisserie chicken from the grocery store you can have it on the table in less than 30 minutes! Or make ahead for a quick “just assemble” meal on a busy weeknight!
Chicken Enchilada Salad
For enchilada portion:
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1/3 cup light cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 Tb lime juice
- Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a medium skillet and heat until cheese is melted and mixture is combined. Remove from heat.
For corn and bean salsa:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup corn
- 2/3 cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Diced green chilies or jalapeno (optional)
Place olive oil in medium saucepan (make sure it covers the bottom of the pan). Add beans, corn, and peppers. Sauté all of these ingredients for 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and additional chiles for an extra kick if desired.
Assemble the salad:
- 6 cups chopped romaine salad
- Salad dressing of choice (light lime vinaigrette or creamy ranch is great!)
- Tortilla strips (optional)
– The best way to make these is take a pack of flour tortillas, cut them into lengthwise strips, and pop them in the oven at 350 degrees until crisped to your liking!
Arrange lettuce in bowl and dress with your favorite dressing. Top lettuce with a serving of chicken enchilada mixture and bean salsa. Garnish with tortilla chips or strips! Enjoy/Ole!