(Think beyond the Green Bean Casserole!)
Holiday side dishes are often mundane and repetitious. Wouldn’t you like something a little more unique to wow your guests with this holiday season? We recently stumbled across some creative ways to prepare Brussels sprouts that transformed them from a basic vegetable into an elegant, easy, and entertaining holiday side dish. The same ingredient can be used to change the presentation of a basic bowl of green beans…greens to please everyone!
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Shallots, Dried Cranberries and Blue Cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed of end and outside leaves, sliced very thin
- 2 minced shallots or 2 tbsp minced onions
- 1 tbsp packaged dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp diced apple
- 2 tbsp blue cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Let’s get cooking!
- Sauté Brussels sprouts, apples, shallots, salt and pepper in olive oil over medium heat until soft and slightly browned (about 8 minutes); stir frequently.
- Upon reaching desired tenderness, add cranberries.
- Serve as prepared or topped with blue cheese.
What are some of your favorite holiday side dish variations? Check some others out here!