Ohio State Homecoming weekend and another great opportunity to tailgate before the game! This week we decided to make Strombolis, easy to make delicious dough-enrobed beat and cheese packets. Once baked and sliced, Strombolis are great handheld “sandwiches” that easily feed a family, school lunch, or on a game day, a huge crowd! Round out to make a meal with a salad or your favorite side ( maybe some crispy zucchini chips!)
Ingredients (Makes one Stromboli)
- 1 can crescent dough (regular or low fat)
- 6 oz deli meat (turkey, ham, hard salami, etc.)
- 6 oz deli sliced cheese
- 2 tbsp sandwich spread (cream cheese, garlic spread, dijon mustard, ranch dressing) – optional
Let’s Make Strombolis!
- Unroll a tube of crescent dough onto a foil coated baking sheet with cooking spray.
- If desired, spread 2 tbsp of cream cheese, mustard, dijon, or dressing down the center of the dough.
- Layer meat, either one variety or a combination of meats on top of the dough/dressing.
- Layer slices of cheese on top of meat.
- Using kitchen scissors, make slits on side of dough, 2 inches apart, creating strips.
- Overlap dough strips across top of cheese, creating a braided look.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice into 2 inch wedges and serve
Some of our favorite combinations!
– Turkey and Colby jack, dijon mustard
– Turkey, ham, hard salami, cream cheese, banana peppers
– Corned beef, swiss cheese, thousand island dressing, drained sauerkraut