Stuffed peppers are another great pre-made, yet HEALTHY, weeknight dinner! Not only are they high in protein and low in calories, but did you know that bell peppers also pack a TON of vitamins?? Mainly vitamins B & C which are essential in helping increase your metabolism! Also, the peppers serve as a great little vessel for the meat and rice mixture! The best part about this meal is that you can substitute a variety of ingredients. Instead of using rice, try using quinoa!
- 3-4 medium sized red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- 1/2 cup long-grain, white rice
- 1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 12 ounces ground beef (80% lean) or ground turkey
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup past sauce
Let’s Get Cooking!
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. ( You can also leave the peppers intact, cut the tops off and remove the stems and seeds, and then pack the peppers like little cups – just depends on how hungry you are!).
- Place peppers cut side down in microwave safe baking dish with a little water and cover with plastic wrap; microwave for 6 minutes; salt and pepper inside of peppers.
- Meanwhile, brown ground meat with onion until no longer pink (roughly 4-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Mix cooked rice, 1/2 of the tomatoes, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese with the meat; season with salt and pepper.
- Fill cooled peppers with meat mixture.
- Top each stuffed pepper with 2 tbsp pasta sauce; sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
(The filling is also a great leftover to use on top of salads, in a lunchtime tortilla wrap, or with eggs for breakfast in the mornings!).