Oral Appliance At-Home Care, Side Effects
At Home Care
- Your appliance should be cleaned with a soft toothbrush twice a day, typically at the same time you brush your teeth.
- Somnomed appliances should be stored in water during the day when not in use.
- Somnomed appliances benefit from extra cleaning a few times a week using a product like Polident for Partials or Somtabs (Somnomed brand).
- Avoid exposure to extreme heat as this could cause damage to the appliance.
- Dogs love these! As a precaution, when you are not wearing your appliance it should be in its storage case. Remember…”in the face or in the case”!
Possible Side Effects
Due to the function of an Oral Appliance, you may experience some temporary side effects such as sore jaw joints/jaw “fatigue”, increased salivation, dry mouth, sore teeth, irritation of the soft tissues in the mouth and/or a slight change in your “bite”. These possible side effects should diminish within an hour of removing the device. If any of these side effects continue or if you experience pain, contact our office right away.
Preventing Changes in The Bite
In the morning when you remove your appliance you may feel that your bite, or the way that your teeth fit together, is off. We recommend that you do morning exercises to prevent long-term changes in your bite. These exercises include jaw massage, chewing on gum or a chewy granola bar, “thinker’s pose” (rest chin in cup of hands), and the use of a morning repositioner mouthpiece or bite tab.
It’s important to maintain an annual office visit schedule with your Oral Appliance dentist to ensure that the appliance still fits properly, there are no issues with bite changes, and that you have not had any recurrent symptoms.
Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns at (513) 248-8848.